A Big Thank You
Double Sink Vanities by Greentea Design
Double Sink Vanities by Greentea Design
Monday, December 11, 2006
First I want to say thank you to everyone. Thank you for your support, thank you for taking time to read the White Hat Stories, thank you for your emails. And thanks to all of you who donned your white hats and went out last night, whether you were alone or not. To those of you who did go alone, whether it was for the very first time or you’ve been doing it for years, I thank you and others thank you as well. Don’t be discouraged if you didn’t see anybody else with a white hat. People all over the world were participating last night.

I wanted to tell you my story. Ever since I was about nine I’ve spent a lot of time alone. I have good friends now, not terribly many, and it hasn’t always been so. Once in a while I did feel lonely, but for the most part I’ve never minded doing things alone. Being alone meant that I could do as I please, that I didn’t have to put up with anyone, that no one would bother me. I’ve done many things by myself that some would never consider doing, gone to the movies, dined out, gone on vacation, had my own apartment, I’ve even gone camping by myself (which can scare anybody silly when there’s something moving around your tent at night!). For me being alone was liberating, relaxing. I know that isn’t the case for everyone. Some of you are terrified of being alone, others shun it because they feel the social stigma of being a ‘loner’. Now I have a chance to help others, and it has been a great honor that you’ve all joined the idea and allowed me to help. Thank you.

Some of you do go out and do things alone, but for those who don’t this is your chance to see how many others like you there are. It’s okay. We’re here to help all of you to have the confidence to do the things you want even if you have to do them alone. Maybe it will be going to a movie alone, or taking that vacation you’ve always wanted but haven’t found anyone to go with, maybe it’s joining a class on something you’ve always wanted to learn, or just taking a walk around town.

People have been asking “Can I wear a white hat on a different night?”, “Can we wear white hats to places besides movies?”, “Is it okay if I’m not single or going with my friend?”, “I didn’t get a chance to go, are we doing it again?”

Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

Feel free to wear your white hat any time and any place you wish, you never know who else might be out there waiting to see a white hat.
You don’t have to be single to participate, anyone can. Some of the younger people have said they’re not allowed to go to the movies by themselves yet, but both they and their friends would wear a white hat. Everyone should remember to be careful when going out by themself. Be smart, stay safe, and if possible let someone know where you’re going.
The plan right now is to make this a weekly event. Saturday evening is when people will be putting on their white hats and heading to the theatre.

I’m hoping we can keep this going, but the White Hat People need your help to do it. We need you to help spread the word, post a link, write about it your blog, tell others. If you have any thoughts or suggestions let me know. And most importantly keep going out with your white hat.



-Becky

(I am currently reading through all your emails. I will have a post ready later today.) :)